* I’m putting together a Michael Jackson mix, and in doing so, stumbled across some long forgotten, but great, songs. Like “Childhood,” which, apparently, is from the Free Willy 2 soundtrack. Do y’all remember Free Willy 2? Yeah, me neither. I know I saw it, because I LOVED the first movie. Cried my eyes out . Also, fun fact: I went to see Free Willy on my first ever date, in sixth grade. My date cried, too, but tried to hide it. Anyway, check it out. Doesn’t this song break you heart a little? I’m sure he wrote it with that intention, but still – he’s so earnest. Plus, there are strings.
Other gems include “Ben”, “She’s Out of My Life”, “Dirty Diana” and a breathtaking “Ain’t No Sunshine.” I’d kind of forgotten how much I liked the King of Pop back in the day.
* Also being played on my iPod lately: The cast recording for Curtains. Freaking brilliant, people. I now totally regret never seeing this show when it was on Broadway. And I knew about it, too! I distinctly remember talking to my dad about the new Kander and Ebb murder mystery musical. Anyway, a friend gave me the cast recording several months ago, and I only recently started listening to it. It took a few listens, but now I can’t get enough. It’s funny, it’s catchy, it’s romantic, it’s sad. And, sure, it’s no Cabaret, but what is? I love David Hyde Pierce’s wistful song, “Coffee Shop Nights,” but the real gem on this album is “I Miss the Music”, a song about writing a song without a partner. Written by John Kander after Fred Ebb’s death. I can’t listen to it without tearing up. But, there’s also some hilarious numbers, and some that are pure joy, such as “Show People.”
Wasn’t that fun?
*I finished the Great Frasier Rewatch much, much faster than the Great Cheers Rewatch. I actually am not going to say how quick it took me to finish 11 seasons of TV, but needless to say…it was quick. Totally enjoyable from start to finish. I don’t remember the last time I laughed out loud at a show so consistently. Yesterday, I started listing my favorite episodes, for a top 10 countdown, and ended up with, uh, 42. No, I’m not kidding. Obviously I’ll have to trim the list down. I almost feel like there should be two different lists: 1.) Favorite episodes, 2.) Niles. Though, as I said before, Jane Leeves is totally under-appreciated. Or at least, I didn’t appreciate her when the show was on. My god, she’s funny. OnceI can narrow down the list, I’ll do a post on my favorite episodes. In the meantime, here’s a video someone made highlighting the hilarious Daphne Moon.
* Lauren Graham’s new movie, The Answer Man, comes out in DC next week. Who’s coming with me? Anyone? Anyone?
*On that topic, I still haven’t seen 500 Days of Summer. Or The Hangover. Or any new movie since Away We Go. P.S. John Krasinski + beard + glasses = HOT. I finally get the attraction.
* I need a good book. I’m currently very uninspired by my collection. I keep on starting one book and stopping it a few days later. I think this is because a few months ago, I read Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. It was wonderful, and set the bar very high for my next Great Read. So far, nothing has measured up. I hope I find one by this time next month – I need some beach reading.
* I have no desire to see the Harry Potter movie. But I do think Daniel Radcliffe has gotten kind of cute as he’s gotten older. (Even though I can’t see him without remembering him flinging a condom, ala Extras.) Which is worse?
*Found out today the new season of Dexter starts September 27th. Bring it!
* How did I find that out? By reading about the Dexter panel at Comic Con. Yep, it’s that time of year again. And yes, once again, I failed to make it to the Fandom Mecca. Someday, dear readers. Some day…